Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Life as Media: Milford

I haven't even looked at my Mom's photos or the Caruso's pictures of the backyard paint store but both sports and the Color Bar, as Popeye would say, made me "... what I ams." I ams what I ams became a mantra I would later use while working for CBS. When living in New York City which just 70 and about a million miles from Milford, CT, one needed a mantra.  For media sakes both sports and paint were huge but from early on newspapers actually delineated who I was.

The media me memories of scrapbooks filled with newspaper clipping, 8 m.m. movies, photographs plus the Teske type media - trophies, letter-sweaters, programs, award night banners and game balls meant little compare to the magic of media creation. Not just the process of Brownie camera photograph but making a flip book or graphic story board with paste on cartoon bubble text. Or the little packet of photographic paper sold that were sold bubble gum and trading cards section of Issie's or Donahues containing ready made negative and a cardboard sleeve for making contract prints that we could expose to sun light to 'create' the picture. A sorta miniature instant photo that didn't last long without fixative but who cared, it was cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment